Friday, March 18, 2011

Springing Forward

60 degrees and sunny on Saturday, 40 degrees and cloudy Sunday, and snow showers Monday. Welcome to Missouri in March. The days of warm weather and sun have us all itching for Spring. We spent Sunday at my parent's house preparing our garden for planting. While we are still very much amatuers at gardening and my thumb isn't exactly green, we are attempting to do a big garden this year. I have been growing onions from seeds over the last couple of months and have also recently started peppers, tomatoes, and eggplant.


In my attempt to be more frugal, I am starting my plants in egg cartons. I am shocked how cheap it is to start plants from seeds and how much food you get out of it. Now if I can just get them to grow!

Last summer we started a raised bed strawberry patch. You don't get strawberries off of it the first year (how cruel is that?) but we are looking forward to a bountiful crop this year! We took the mulch off of the bed this weekend and there are already green leaves showing. I can already taste the homemade jam and strawberry shortcakes!



The Househusband is particulary intersted in growing and eating your own foods. He has recently started an internship with Earthdance Farms http://www.earthdancefarms.org/ where he will be taking various classes on growing and selling food as well as working at the farm twice a week. I can't wait to hear what he learns. The knowledge and experience he is getting from this is priceless and will hopefully help our thumbs become a little greener!


Blog to you soon!
Lucy

No comments:

Post a Comment